Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Earth Run 05.31.09: Conquering the hills

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day! As a child, I would recite that famous rhymes while staring at the window, wanting the rain to stop, so I could play in the backyard. But the rain seems never heard my pleas so my siblings and I would just run outside to gladly play while my mother would shout at us to stop and get us inside.

Last Sunday, I remembered those rhymes and wanted to recite it just to let it stop so I could join the scheduled race for that day. I was up at about 3:00 in the morning when I heard the heavy downpour on our roof so I thought the start of the race would be delayed but I readied myself just the same. I registered for the Earth Run for a 5K event and I was confident that my knee would cooperate with me this time. So I checked my gears and by the time I finished my coffee, the rain temporarily stopped. IceOne and I headed for McKinley Hill in The Fort just in time.

There were hundreds if not thousands of runners in attendance when we arrived. The atmosphere was a welcome treat for me as this will be my first race since I stopped three months ago after I finished my rehab. I was quite nervous and afraid that I wouldn’t be able to finish as this route was very familiar with me because this was the culprit where I injured my right knee and got an ACL. The hilly course here is as difficult as you could imagine it to be, but I was ready to conquer all my fears.

The race started at exactly 6:00am with a slight downpour which was an advantage for us runners. I started with a very slow pace and was glad that IceOne paced me all throughout the race. Water stations were ample and positioned in every 2.5 kilometers. I did have some walk breaks but it was only when I got some water to pour on myself. I was quite satisfied that I can again finish a 5K without the pain. How I miss running…

I know I am not yet completely healed but I was able to conquer the hills!

at the finish line after conquering my fears

with IceOne


with baby

with our group

3 comments:

Gingerbreadman said...

Hey, it was fun running in the rain eh? And to conquer those hills, whew :) See you at the races! :)

Regards,
Luis
http://gingerbreadrunning.blogspot.com/

gemini said...

hi GBM, yeah it was fun. see you at the races too. thanx for dropping by.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Mae, I hope this time your knee is completely healed. Will I see you at the Robinson's Run this July 12?